New supercharged V6 coming to 2014 Range Rover
- 02/22/2013 |
- by David Barks |
- Total Car News / Manufacturer
Land Rover is taking steps to increase fuel efficiency in the 2014 Range Rover by replacing the naturally aspirated V8 with a new fuel efficient supercharged V6. This supercharged 3.0-liter V6 engine will produce 340 horsepower, a slight drop from the 375 horsepower of the 2013’s naturally aspirated V8. It will be offered with Land Rover’s Intelligent stop/start system to further enhance mpg and cut emissions, reducing engine idling during stop and go driving conditions.
The 510 horsepower supercharged V8 will remain in the lineup. An eight-speed automatic transmission will be standard with either engine. Land Rover says the new engine will still support full off-road capabilities that are to be expected of a Range Rover. The 2014 Range Rover will be in showrooms sometime in the summer.
See the full press release, with all the details, below:
2014 RANGE ROVER NOW AVAILABLE FOR ORDER WITH A CHOICE OF SUPERCHARGED V6 & V8 ENGINES
· Following the sales success of the all-new 2013 Range Rover, the 2014 Range Rover is now available for order, with deliveries beginning this summer
· A new 340hp 3-liter supercharged V6 will offer improved efficiency with reduced emissions and uncompromised capability
· A 510hp supercharged 5-liter V8 will continue to be available
· The 2014 Range Rover will be equipped with a new Intelligent Stop/Start system which reduces idling to reduce emissions and save fuel
· Both engines will be paired with an eight-speed ZF 8HP70
· Introduced for 2013, the high-strength all-aluminum Range Rover weighs approximately 700lbs less than the previous generation
(MAHWAH, NJ) February 19, 2013 - On the heels of a massively successful launch of the 2013 all-new Range Rover, Land Rover is opening retail orders for the 2014 Range Rover, which will be in showrooms this summer.
The upcoming 2014 Range Roverwill be available with a new and more
efficient 340hp supercharged V6 engine. This new engine choice combines effortless performance and exceptional refinement with enhanced fuel efficiency. The supercharged V6 engine will be offered alongside the 510hp supercharged V8. Both engines will be paired with an eight-speed ZF 8HP70 automatic transmission. The supercharged V6 will replace the naturally aspirated 5-liter V8 in the model line-up.
With the new supercharged V6, the 2014 Range Rover will reach 60 mph from rest in just 7.1 seconds*. The supercharged 3-liter 90 degree V6 engine was developed from the existing 5-liter V8. With a peak output of 340hp at 6,500rpm, it offers a strong torque curve throughout the engine speed range, producing maximum torque between 3,500 and 5,000rpm.
The new engine has been engineered to support the full breadth of capability expected from a Range Rover, including extreme off-road tilt angles up to 45 degrees, wading depth of nearly 36 inches (900mm) and towing weight up to 7,716 lbs (3,500kg). The engine’s accessory drive is waterproofed, as are the alternator, air conditioning compressor, and starter motor. A pressure die-cast oil pan which features a deep profile and oil pick-up is designed to operate at tilt angles of up to 45 degrees fore/aft. The four-cam V6 shares features a lightweight die-cast aluminum block supplemented with cross-bolted main bearing caps for strength. The valves are controlled by a dual independent variable cam timing (DIVCT) system which is activated by the positive and negative torques generated by the movement of the intake and exhaust valves. This variable timing system features actuation rates of more than 150 degrees per second, to optimize power, torque and economy at all engine speeds. Counter-rotating front and rear balancer weights are engineered into this 90 degree V6 to maximize smoothness and refinement.
Land Rover’s Intelligent Stop/Start system helps enhance fuel efficiency in stop and go driving by reducing engine idling under certain conditions which saves fuel and cuts emissions.
Spray-guided direct injection (SGDI) delivers precise quantities of fuel directly into the combustion chambers at pressures of up to 150bar (2175PSI). The fuel is injected in a matter of milliseconds several times during each combustion cycle, creating a more homogenous air-fuel mixture for cleaner and more efficient combustion. A high compression ratio of 10.5:1 further improves fuel efficiency and reduces emissions. The latest-generation Roots-type twin vortex supercharger is mounted in the ‘V’ of the engine and the charge air utilizes an air/liquid intercooler. A new Bosch engine management system controls all engine functions.
When coupled to a high-strength yet lightweight all-aluminum structure this new powertrain further builds on the efficiency gains of the new Range Rover.
# # #
About Land Rover
Land Rover, the British maker of Land Rover and Range Rover sport utility vehicles, is renowned for providing its' clientele with some of the most luxurious and capable vehicles in the world. Every Land Rover product is equally at home both on and off road, and in any setting; be it in the heart of the city, or traversing the countryside. Today's Land Rover lineup includes the legendary Defender, LR2 (Freelander 2), LR4 (Discovery 4), Range Rover Sport, Range Rover and Range Rover Evoque. Land Rover designs, engineers, and manufactures their vehicles in the United Kingdom. Land Rover is fully engaged with sustainability initiatives and social concerns with continuous involvement in environmental and community programs. For more information visit the official Land Rover website at http://www.landroverusa.com.
About Jaguar Land Rover
• Jaguar Land Rover is the UK's largest automotive manufacturing business built around two iconic British car brands with a rich heritage and powerful consumer appeal and loyalty. Additionally, Jaguar Land Rover is at the centre of the UK automotive industry’s drive to deliver technical innovation in all areas of vehicle development.
• As the UK’s largest automotive employer, JLR has a world class team of nearly 25,000 people.
• In the 2011/12 fiscal year, JLR achieved record profits of £1.5 billion, an increase of £392m when compared to the previous year.
• Jaguar Land Rover is the largest investor in automotive R&D and engineering in the UK.
• Jaguar Land Rover has two state of the art engineering and design facilities and three advanced manufacturing plants in the UK.
• Headquartered in Mahwah, New Jersey in the United States, Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC has offices across the USA and Canada and is represented by more than 330 retail outlets.